International Legal Programs
Law School Study Abroad Programs & International Summer Programs
With seven law study-abroad programs to choose from, our students are immersed in the structure and practice of international legal systems—which in turn strengthens their understanding of the American system.
Through the Consortium for Innovative Legal Education (CILE) (a group of four independent law schools with international law programs including joint study abroad law programs, visit-in programs to provide geographic flexibility for students, and other creative programming and services for the four schools), students can study abroad for either a semester or a summer through international legal programs. Courses of study include international and comparative law topics in such areas as human rights, juvenile justice, human rights in intellectual property and corporate law, civil and criminal lawsuits (comparing U.K. and U.S.), constitutional history (comparing U.K. and U.S.), environmental law, and international mediation.
Per American Bar Association requirements, no student will be permitted to attend class for more than 220 minutes per day.
For further information
For further information on the CILE Summer Programs listed below, please contact Professor Monica Teixeira de Sousa; (617) 422-7271. For other international programs please contact the Registrar's Office, (617) 422-7215.
CILE Summer Programs
- Irish Centre for Human Rights, National University of Ireland, Galway: This program, managed by New England Law, will be offered Sunday, May 27, to Friday, June 22, 2018. (Please view the video above for more information.)
- London Study Centre, London (three-week session) ) (View London summer program video.)
- Foundation for International Studies, University of Malta, Valletta (View Malta summer program video.)
- Charles University Faculty of Law, Prague (View Prague summer program video.)
- Justice in the Americas, Santiago de Chile (View Santiago summer program video.)
Students attending a CILE summer program do not need advance approval to earn New England Law course credit, and grades received are included on New England Law transcripts.
Law School Semester Abroad Programs
- University of Aarhus, Denmark
- University of Leiden, the Netherlands
All semester abroad study must be approved by the Dean’s Office. Participation in semester abroad programs may also be limited by program size constraints.
ABA Approved Summer Law School Abroad Programs
New England Law students may enroll in any summer study law abroad programs approved by the American Bar Association. Courses must be approved in advance to earn New England Law credit, and grades are not accepted for inclusion on New England Law transcripts.